Just a Typical Stereotype

pumpkin-spice-latee

(Pumpkin Spice Latte, photo courtesy of nbcnews.com)

What’s the definition of a “typical white girl?” because I have no clue what that means and I do “typical white girl” stuff. Okay I admit… I buy pumpkin spice Frappuccino’s and love Starbucks. Yes, I like their frozen non coffee drinks. However, I am poor most of the time so I can’t buy Starbucks a lot. When, on the off chance I do buy Starbucks, it is as a treat. You see living paycheck to paycheck sucks and I don’t often get nicer things so if I get Starbucks I enjoy it because I know it’s going to be a long time before I get another one. Yes, I also wear “UGG” type boots. Why? Because they’re comfy as all get out and they actually are the only boots that will fit my calves. I wear for comfort not style. By the way I don’t buy UGGS because,  1. I can’t afford them and 2. They use lamb skin for it.

No I don’t have an iPhone, which is another trait for a “typical white girl,” I actually hate iPhones. Had an iPhone 3 once, never happening again. Straight Android user. Samsung girl all the way. Okay so I might have likes and dislikes. I like Starbucks however I dislike coffee. I also like singing, reading and writing. Does that tell you what color I am? I also like getting dirt on my hands too. I don’t eat like a bird around anyone. I love my food and I don’t care who knows it. What does the color of my skin have to do with that? Oh and tanning. Apparently that’s a typical white girl thing to do too. What you don’t know is that each time you tan it increases your chances of getting skin cancer. I’m so fair I can’t tan and know my limits.

I also take selfies, another defining trait. Do you know how hard I worked to get to the point to even be able to take a selfie? I used to not even be able to look at myself in the mirror much less take a selfie.

So if I take selfies it’s because I’ve worked hard to get to the point I can take a picture of myself and actually like it. It shouldn’t matter what color my skin is as long as I’m happy in the skin I have. In doing some research on this topic I have found that there are quite a few websites out there that talk all about what a typical white girl is. There are several meme’s out there that show the, “white girl starter pack,” and it has UGGS, Starbucks, an iPhone, leggings and/or yoga pants. I’m not sure where this stereotype came from but I refuse to be one.

I define myself as a woman not a girl and what defines me should be my character, not the color of my skin. What I have to offer the world matters. What EVERY woman has to offer the world matters. I hope that we all can move on from this stereotype, along with all others, and realize how insensitive it is when we “typical white girls” are actually pretty smart people and break this stereotype. I mean look…I made the dean’s list. I broke a boundary right there. I refuse to be just a typical stereotype.

(This article was written by Lauren Smith)