Hurricane Irma Wreaks Havoc on the Southeast U.S.

By Keeley Catarineau
Debris and whole trees fill the front yard of a home in the Florida Keys. Photo courtesy of Keeley Catarineau

In the early morning on Sept. 10, the Category 5 Hurricane Irma made landfall in the United States, first hitting the Florida Keys.

The Florida Keys are a small chain of islands at the southernmost point of Florida that are home to many and entice many more to visit. They were also the setting of the popular Netflix T.V. series “Bloodline.”

Hurricane Irma caused a mandatory evacuation in South Florida and caused many more people throughout the rest of Florida, parts of Georgia and South Carolina to evacuate as well. It hit the Florida Keys with 120 mile per hour winds and caused storm surges of six to 12 feet high.

“It makes me sad when I see the mass devastation Hurricane Irma can cause my home,” said Angela Niles, a freshman at Greensboro College who is from the Florida Keys. “I am a sixth generation Conch (Florida Keys resident) and I feel like my hometown is about to be drowned.”

Though Florida suffered the brunt of Irma’s attack, North Carolina still felt some effects from it. On Sept. 12 and 13, Hurricane Irma passed by Greensboro on the west. The result of this was higher winds and a higher rate of precipitation. However, these were not high enough to result in any inconvenience for students at Greensboro College, such as classes being cancelled.
“We’re very lucky that we didn’t get hit as badly as Florida and some of the small Caribbean Islands,” said Brittany Morrison, a junior at Greensboro College.

With so many natural disasters and other devastating events occurring around the world, we are very fortunate at Greensboro College that we’ve been able to escape unscathed. As we move forward, it is important to take this into consideration and be there for others who have not been as fortunate.