Where in the world is Abby Bügger?

After an exciting break for summer, many of our 2019 graduates have already gotten a kickstart into their careers and aspirations, includ- ing Abby Bügger. Bügger graduated Greensboro College after she attended a study abroad program with Dean of Humanities Dr. Malotky to Italy where she learned a lot about agriculture and sustainability.

Bügger spent her summer working as a farmhand with the Out of the Garden Project, a nonprofit which educates the community about nutrition and decreases hunger in the Triad area.

She is now exploring Peru to learn more about the environment. After a two-week trek down the southern coast, she has reached Cusco where she is now working on a farm helping to rehabilitate horses and other livestock that were abused or destined for slaughter.

“I fell in love with the mythology and variety of this vegetable that originated from the Andean moun- tains of Peru,” she said, “so it felt like a reflective place to start as I begin creating myself, post-graduation.”

Bügger says she chose Peru because it links to her first experience with agriculture in Italy where she designed and built a potato garden.

Studying at Greensboro College helped Bügger unlock doors to a much bigger campus life. She expressed how the faculty and staff constantly celebrated and challenged her. She took advantage of two international opportunities, one to Israel to participate in a conference involving interreligious dialogue, the other in Italy. While at Greensboro College she was able to cultivate a deep appreciation for diversity.

Bügger says that her goals are ever-fluctuating as she grows and changes, but at their core is the intent to help others across this world. She wishes to open an enrichment center that invites children to develop a deeper respect for the earth, express themselves creatively and live thoughtful and wonder-filled lives.

She has big plans for her future and hopes to share with the world what Greensboro College has shared with her.

Abby Bügger hiking the Colca Canyon.

Photo courtesy of Abby Bügger

By Grayce Goins