Greensboro Pride returns downtown

Greensboro Pride returned to Downtown Greensboro this month, and brought a day of acceptance, love and fun. Those in attendance were from all walks of life, including those a part of the LGBTQ+ community and not. Greensboro Pride celebrates lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, questioning, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) people, as well as their allies, the many people, organizations, businesses and groups that support them.

Vendors of all types lined South Elm Street.

“Equality NC is the oldest LGBTQ [foundation] in the nation and just celebrated their 40th anniversary on Sept. 14,” said Sterling Bentley of the Equality NC Foundation, one such booth.

Equality NC is dedicated to securing rights and protections for the LGBTQ community.

The ladies of Moms Demand Action, a group of moms against gun violence, were also in attendance. While their focus is gun control, they also held up signs that said “Free Mom Hugs” specifically for members of the LGBTQ community who were not accepted by their parents.

According to Greensboro resident and Pride attendee Kayla Cruse, Pride is a way of uniting people of all creeds while allowing individuals to freely express their true selves, even in the South where the atmosphere can be less inclusive.

“I’ve gone back home [to] Chicago’s Pride and it’s such a huge beautiful thing and I just wanted to come down to Greensboro and compare the atmosphere of how pride is in the South,” Cruse said on what brought her to Greensboro Pride. “It’s a little bit more conservative here but [laughs] everyone here is friendly and beautiful.

“Sometimes in the South you don’t expect so many people to be proud of who they are. Down here so it’s just wonderful to see everyone come together and show out. It’s just an amazing atmosphere. I love it!”

By Sarah Justice and Jackie Treadway