GC theatre takes on Shakespeare

The next show in the Greensboro College theatre season is “The Winter’s Tale.” This show is one of Shakespeare’s lesser-known works, but the substance and relevance of the script is not lacking in any of the essential elements that make a wonderful show.

Hall discussed the issue of a prospective audience member’s worries as well.

Director and professor Josephine Hall described the importance of this piece and explained why she chose “The Winter’s Tale” for this season.

“It is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I love the story and the characters. It is not one of his better known plays, but it’s a beautiful script,” Hall said. “It is also one that does not rely on one or two characters to carry the bulk of the show, such as ‘Hamlet,’ ‘Othello’ or ‘Macbeth’, so I was able to ‘share the wealth’ of casting among several students instead of relying on one or two.

“This gives several students the chance to truly put into practice what they have been learning in class. It is also a very challenging script. The language is delicious. However, it is one of his later plays, and Shakespeare was really playing around with the verse line at this time. It takes a lot of skill to keep the sense of the text alive in order to complete that thought. There is plenty of challenging material for the students to work with.”

This challenge has caused several students involved in the production to evolve as performers and improve their skills. Maddie Barham, a sophomore acting major involved in the production, mentioned her reason for enjoying this show.

“‘The Winter’s Tale’ shows Shakespeare’s brilliance in every line,” Barham said. “The heart of this story is the relationships between the characters. The love that Hermione, the character I’m playing, has for Leontes despite all that he puts her through is, in my opinion, what true love really is.”

“Don’t be afraid to come just because it is Shakespeare,” said Hall. “I tell my actors that we don’t expect the audience to understand every single word that is spoken. That is the job of the actors.”

Hall simply asks that the audience “be ready to enjoy a world they may not have experienced before, and not to let the fear of possibly not understanding everything stop you from listening, experiencing and enjoying the performance.”

Performances will be in the Huggins Performance Center in Odell Building. The shows will be at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17-19 and 2 p.m. Oct.19-20. Admission is free for students and $10 for community members. Come and support these students in their efforts to challenge themselves and portray a beautiful Shakespearean tale.

Alicia Harwell (left), Saiir Foy-Coles and Andrew Friedrichs rehearse “The Winter’s Tale.”
Mary Blythe McLaughlin (left), Caitlin Nicholson and ShaMeriaWilliams.
Samuel Walker (left), Kariey Smith, Alicia Harwell and SaiirFoy-Coles.
Jackie Hines (left), Raymundo Contreras-Ruiz, Bryson Cavinessand Armani Frazier.

By Josie Gold