Greensboro College goes pink

Throughout the month of October, Greensboro College faculty, staff and students hosted events to raise awareness and funds for those affected by breast cancer during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

At the beginning of the month, the college hosted Pink Yoga for Breast Cancer Awareness next to Pride Field and gifted participants pink towels and water bottles. Outside Fowler Dining Hall there were different activities throughout the month in which students and faculty could participate, including temporary pink hair and table goodies. The Fowler Dining Hall also served pink food for one week.

Each Wednesday faculty and students were advised to wear pink to show support. To help raise funds, the Student Health Center, located above the cafeteria, sold pink shirts and gave a portion of the proceeds to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Athletics were busy on the court and field, too, as they each dedicated a game to breast cancer awareness in the spirit of the month. Much of the women’s soccer team had their hair colored pink in support as they played their “pink game” on Oct. 9. The field was lined in pink flags, each dedicated to friends and family of the players who have suffered from breast cancer.

The volleyball team’s dedicated game on Oct. 26 supported the Susan G. Komen Foundation, as they wore pink shirts which they also sold and dedicated partial proceeds from to the foundation.

Pink yoga was a big hit with students, faculty and staff. Photos courtesy of Julia Mallard.

By Grayce Goins