Dr Chacon: “I would make a terrible NBA player!

Dr. Heather Chacon is an associate professor of English and communication studies at Greensboro College. Dr. Chacon teaches English and communication classes and historical courses such as “Modern American Literature” and “Women Writers.” On a chilly November afternoon, Dr. Chacon was happy to discuss her current projects, childhood memories and unlikely occupation with us.

The Collegian: Are you working on any special projects right now?

Heather Chacon: I am. I have an article that got advised to resubmit, which means “we’re interested but you need to fix some stuff.” It is about Fanny Fern, who’s an 1850s famous woman journalist, and the way she leads medicine and women’s rights throughout her work. I got a fellowship from Drexel medical college [Drexel University College of Medicine] to go look at some of the early writings of women and homeopathy. So I’ve been doing that for the last couple months and using that to help me contextualize the revision.

The Collegian: What do you do in your spare time?

Chacon: In my spare time I hang out with my child who is now at the age where he has his own interests and that’s fun. When I don’t hang out with him, I go hear some live music or I go do some hiking on the trails and stuff around town.

The Collegian: What is your best childhood memory?

Chacon: Oooh, that’s a good question! I got a dog for my ninth birthday and I had no idea because I wanted one for several years and always asked for one but the answer was always that quiet “no” that parents give when they don’t want you to make a fuss. It was the last gift I got and they put her in my lap. It was a little cocker spaniel that I had for about 20 years.

The Collegian: What do you feel proudest of?

Chacon: It’s weird because I’m not the type of person to toot my own horn but I’m proud that I have this job and finished my degree because the odds of someone like me doing either of those things weren’t that great. I was a first generation college student who never had a whole lot and later became pregnant in grad school, but I did get through. I had a lot of help from my family and partner but it still feels really good.

The Collegian: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?

Chacon: This is a cliché answer but I want to go to Paris. It looks so pretty.

The Collegian: Why did you choose teaching as a profession?

Chacon: Well I like young peo-mple and it’s a way to keep learning, which I like. I like talking to and with people.

The Collegian: What was your most embarrassing moment?

Chacon: I had a crush on a boy in high school and he actually came to my house with a group of friends and I was really excited. That same dog [that I got when I was 9] ran right into my leg and knocked me over which is hard to get over graciously. [laughs]

The Collegian: If you could use any three words to describe yourself what would they be?

Chacon: Happy, hopeful and tough.

The Collegian: What job would you be terrible at?

Chacon: Any job that would involve coordination. I would be a terrible NBA player. [laughs] Also, I’m terrible at direction so you wouldn’t want me as an Uber driver.

The Collegian: What piece of entertainment do you wish you could erase from your mind so that you could experience it for the first time?

Chacon: My favorite comedy of all time is “The Big Lebowski” and I would like to have the jokes fresh again.

By Jackie Treadway