Spencer George demonstrates excellence in and out of the pool

This issue’s athlete profile is Spencer George, a freshman on the men’s swim team. George is originally from Coats, NC, a small town in Harnett County. He has been swimming for six years, and while he played other sports like basketball and baseball throughout high school, he decided to “stick with swimming.” 

Good thing he did! George has already made a significant mark on the men’s team, picking up several wins during the limited season, including the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53.82, the 100-yard individual medley with a time of 2:13.43 and a 50y freestyle race that marked the fifth-fastest time in the history of the men’s swimming program with a time of 23 seconds. 

Reminiscing about his years on various swim teams, George said that his favorite memories of the sport were “just hanging out with my friends for hours at long swim meets.”

Spencer is a true student athlete, managing his time between long practices and challenging courses in his criminal justice major. He says that he chose Greensboro College and its swimming program because he “really liked everything Coach Sheridan was proposing, and GC was the best deal.” 

Speaking about what he enjoys about Greensboro College, George said, “I enjoy the smaller class sizes and the friendliness of the professors here at GC and how everyone is willing to help out.” 

Though the end of his senior year in high school and the beginning of his career as a GC swimmer has been altered due to the Covid-19 pandemic, George maintains a positive, laid-back attitude throughout practices and meets, encouraging his teammates to be better, though he does look forward to being able to go to more on-campus events once the pandemic has passed. He also says that he is looking forward to the annual ODAC meet as well as getting a break after the season is over, a break which is surely well-deserved. 

Coach Jim Sheridan notes that George “drives himself to be better every day.” He says that he has “adapted well to the change in training” even though he is “tired most of the time.” George’s teammates describe him as goofy, encouraging, and hardworking, and as one of those guys you just want to hang out with. 

Fans of the men’s and women’s swim teams at Greensboro College can look forward to a couple more meets before the final inter-collegiate ODAC meet in March, including a women’s home meet against cross-town rival Guilford College on February 13 and an away meet at Emory & Henry College in Emory, VA on February 20. The season will conclude with the ODAC Championships from Friday, March 5 to Sunday, March 7.

By Tess Perdue