New field, new season

After their fall season was cancelled, members of the Greensboro College football team were given an amazing opportunity. They are being allowed a shortened spring season, and they will now be able to host football games on Pride Field. For years, the football team has been waiting for this moment – the chance to call the home field “Home”.

According to senior Ju’warren Byrd, all that has been transpiring on the former soccer field has been extremely exciting. “It feels great. It’s something I’ve always wanted to see, and they hooked it up the way I’ve always pictured it,” Byrd said. “And being able to play at home is a lot
better for attendance. Playing at Grimsley sort of limits the amount of people that want to show up because it is a ways away. Now everyone can just walk outside and watch us dominate on the field.”

Junior David Loughry had positive things to say as well. He said finally having their own scoreboard “really makes Pride Field home for us.” He said playing off-campus his first two seasons were definitely “weird” but being back on campus just “brings a different kind of excitement heading into the season.”

“It’s exciting knowing that we have an opportunity to play on campus now,” said sophomore Justice Brannon. Although he has not been at Greensboro College for long, he says that he knows how surreal it is for former players: “it is very exciting.”

“Running out on Pride Field with the city in the background is going to be real special,” Loughry added with emphasis.

The football team’s first game will be against Methodist College at 1 p.m. on March 6. Come out and support the Pride.

Photo courtesy of David Loughry

by Alicia Artis