Women’s basketball rebuilds

With the recent loss of our beloved women’s basketball coach, Randy Tuggle, this season was a rebuilding year for the Lady Pride basketball team. Tuggle was the winningest coach in program history, with 198 victories. He led the Pride to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2011 and was named USA South and D3Hoops.com Coach of the Year. During his tenure, Tuggle helped shape Greensboro College’s women’s basketball team into a USA South Athletic Conference powerhouse. He helped the Pride to seven USA South Regular Season and five USA South Tournament Championships. Additionally, Tuggle is also credited with coaching and recruiting 17 All-Conference selections, two USA South Rookies and Players of the Year and two All-Americans.

In September 2020, Greensboro College alumni Heather Macy was named head coach. “Coach Macy has had a remarkable coaching career since her playing days here at Greensboro College,” said Athletic Director Kim Strable. “Beyond her on-court qualifications, she has earned a certification in Emotional Intelligence as well as a Positive Psychology specialization, which she transforms into a style of leadership that has a way of bringing the best out of her players and teams. We welcome her home to where it all started.”

While obtaining her B.S. in Sport and Exercise Studies from Greensboro College, Macy was a four-year member of the Pride women’s basketball team. During her career, Macy was named in the Greensboro College record books for three-point field goals attempted and made, while also ranking ninth in all-time games played with 105. She was also inducted into the Greensboro College Athletics Hall of Fame as a member of the 1996 women’s basketball team on March 31, 2012. In addition to the Greensboro College Hall of Fame, Macy was also inducted into the Starmount High School Hall of Fame.

“This season was different for sure,” said junior guard Destiny Timberlake about the season. “After the passing of Coach Tuggle, I didn’t know how the team would do with a new coach coming in. After meeting Coach Macy, I knew she would be a change in coaching ways but she would be good for us.”

The Pride finished this season with an overall 6-9 record and a 6-8 mark in USA South play. “We’re rebuilding,” Timberlake said. “Now we prepare for next season in hopes to finish with a ring on our fingers. Go Pride!”

By Alycia Artis