Spartan/Pride Open Pantry helps students in need

Spartan Open Pantry started at College Place United Methodist Church in 2012, after a short time of being run from the office of Director of Wesley-Luther, Andrew Mails.

The Pantry is open to all Greensboro College and UNCG students and has meals on Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 6 to 9 p.m.

Kellie Thomas, a senior at UNCG, has been working at Spartan Open Pantry since September 2019. Thomas had been with the pantry only a few months when the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

“COVID-19 has significantly changed the function of the SOP,” Thomas said. “We, like many organizations, had to adapt quickly in order to adopt new health and safety measures to protect our communities. This involved a little bit of trial and error. For a few weeks early in the pandemic, we distributed prepackaged bags to our neighbors from outside of the building in order to allow for social distancing and minimize surface contamination. However, we quickly realized that distributing food this way was both unsustainable and was not meeting our neighbors’ needs, so we moved back inside and began enforcing a mask requirement, social distancing protocols, and increased cleaning so that we could keep everyone safe while still getting students what they need.”

Spartan/Pride Open Pantry is always accepting both food and clothing donations and is located at College Place United Methodist Church at 509 Tate Street.

“If you want to support the food pantry, drop off nonperishable food items in the blue boxes around campus,” said Greensboro College Chaplain Robert Brewer

The pantry is open year-round for students and faculty of Greensboro College and UNCG who are dealing with food insecurity.

by George Knight