The Collegian celebrates 100 volumes with notes from former editors

I’m wishing The Collegian a Happy Centennial! I joined the campus paper as a writer in 2011. I was young, nervous, and unsure about my future career path. After a few writing assignments it all clicked. I knew what I would do when I graduated. I would be a journalist. As a writer and editor at the paper, I learned so many tools and skills that shaped me into the journalist and author that I am today. The friends, colleagues, and advisers I met writing for the newspaper have had a major impact on me. I learned how to conduct interviews, take notes, meet deadlines, edit stories, narrate stories, design layouts, capture an award-winning photo and, most importantly, creatively express myself through my writing. I look forward to seeing the amazing work The Collegian will produce in the 100 years to come.

~Briana Thomas graduated from Greensboro College in 2015, with a major in English and Communications, and a minor in Religion. She received her MA from the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland College Park, and has worked as a reporter for the Afro-American and web editor for Voice of America. Her articles have appeared in The Washingtonian and The Washington Post, and she is the author of Black Broadway (2021). Briana returned to GC in Spring 2022 as the Global Communication Center Writer in Residence. She also received the 2022 Young Alumni Award from Greensboro College.