Women’s Softball Update

thompkins

Greensboro College softball started conference play on March 12th against the William Peace Pacers. Sadly, WP won both games of the 2 game skid in Raleigh, NC. The Lady Pride had a hard time scoring runs and in fact struggled to hit in the first game! This was surprising, because their bats were hot in Myrtle Beach the week before. However, although our team lost, GC improved during the second game. Greensboro made 6 runs but lost to the Pacers.

The Pride then went to face the Cougars of Averett University on the 13th in another Double Header (DH). The Pride found another struggle at Averett as their opponent took both games in the weekend. In Game 1, GC out hit the Cougars, but just could not seem to squeeze out a few runs from the heavy hitting offense. Game 2 was better for the Pride- but Averett also improved as well. Greensboro fell 10-3 in another rough day.

However, on the week of March 20th, Sarah Thompkins was named Player of the Week! The Collegian congratulates her on her achievement.

During the week between March 13th and March 20th, the Pride played 8 games in 7 days. They matched-up against NC Wesleyan College, Methodist University, Lagrange College and Huntingdon College. Over the 8 games, the Lady Pride put together 6 conference wins.

This past weekend, the Pride took on Covenant College and Piedmont College. GC played double headers on Saturday and Sunday against both teams. In the first game against the Scots, Dawn Harris only allowed 9 hits to get past her during 7 innings. However, on Sunday in Game 1 the Pride lost in the bottom of the 7th inning. Game 2 was a different story- Yeager and Thompkins both homered to get the Pride off to an early start.

The Lady Pride have 4 more games left in the season before the Conference tournament! They play Guildford on the 6th, so travel over to Guildford College and support your Greensboro College Pride!

This article was written by Rhett Martin.