D.C. Women’s March

By Meegan McCarthy, Collegian Contributor

protest

(CNN)

The day after Trump’s inauguration was startling. That day, over one million people, both men and women, protested together in Washington D.C.

D.C. became a city filled to the brim with protesters—not just women, but also families and various organizations that joined to make their voices heard. The Women’s March website claimed that over five million people around the globe walked with them; NPR reported that over two hundred organizations attended the protests on January 21st.

Some people claim that January 21st, 2017 will be remembered in the history books for a long time to come. The event had national significance; although the primary March focused upon Washington D.C. people joined together to protest and rally from San Francisco to Maine. Interestingly, Greensboro, NC had its own Women’s March the very same day and several Collegian staff members attended to show their support for equal rights.

That day, several groups, like Planned Parenthood, Amnesty International and the NAACP, all stood together to make sure Trump could not ignore them. They wanted to show that people were concerned about what might happen during Trump’s presidency.

During the rally before the march, Scarlett Johansson, Alicia Keys, and Madonna appeared. Many other attendees were activists and creators of human rights organizations.The rally lasted for five hours; around 45 people spoke.