The Pride Wrestling Season Came to an End

By Rhett Martin, Collegian Contributor

wrestling

(Kacee Hutchinson performing a take-down on his opponent. Photo Courtesy of SID Wes Gullet)

Greensboro College added a wrestling program to its athletics program two years ago; the program debuted during the 2015-2016 school year. Since then, the Pride has poured endless amounts of blood, sweat, and tears into the program in order to find recruits and to bring them to the National Championship.

The first year of wrestling here at Greensboro College went better than many observers could have expected. The guys made a name for themselves on the mats that season. During the off-season, the coaches turned the preparation up a notch in order to come out clawing in the 2016-2017 season.

Although the team record shows 5-10, the Pride wrestled against some larger schools. Individual scores are also kept in wrestling, meaning the team may win or lose as a whole, but the individual wrestlers win or lose as well.

The team wrestled in the NCAA East Regional hosted by Ferrum College. Here the Pride placed 8 out of 19 teams. Matthew Igsogna and Kacee Hutchinson advanced to the semi- final round after winning in day one. This pushed Hutchinson’s individual record to 32-2 on the season. He also took in the 9th overall rank in the USA wrestling poll.

Hutchinson punched his ticket to the NCAA Division III National Tournament after finishing second at NCAA Division III East Regional Tournament, while the Pride finished in 11th place as a team. Hutchinson picked up a 2-1 decision victory over Etiini Udott of Centenary College to advance to the 1st-place bout at 197-lbs.

The two-time NCSHAA State Champion took his talents to LaCROSSE, WI. in attempts to bring home another championship.  Although he lost 7-4 in a very disputed bout, Hutchinson finished in eighth place during the National Championship. Kacee was also named an All- American for the 2016-2017 season.