Golf: A Big Win under our Belt

By Torao Yasunaga, Collegian Contributor

Gc_pride_logo

The Greensboro College Men’s golf team started its spring season with a trip to Pine Mountain, Georgia. The Callaway Gardens Intercollegiate hosted by Barry College was played on March 6-7. As a pretty deep team this year, the team went through rigorous qualifying to prepare a lineup for this tournament.

The roster selected was lead by Juniors Levi and Luke Grogan and was followed by three freshman: Grant Powell, Scott Campbell, and Ryan Fitzgerald. Levi, Luke, and Grant have had a lot of experience in a tournament setting; they have played in every tournament in the fall. Scott and Ryan also played their fair share in the fall. This team had good experience in a tournament setting and looked to restart what they had last fall. Everyone on the team worked hard during the winter months in order to be ready for the spring.

Huntington College, which was ranked #1 going into the spring season, came out shooting 296 and leading the tournament by one shot. Greensboro College started the tournament tied for 5th only five shots behind the leaders. This was not an impossible feat for any team who won three tournaments in the fall.

Greensboro College lost some footing; it finished the tournament in seventh. The men’s golf team has dropped a couple of spots in national rankings; however, this is nothing to fret about. The team has been working very hard and gone through a lot of qualifying to pick the right players.

The Men’s Golf team was able to bounce back with a great victory at the Jekyll Island Collegiate Invitational. This was a grueling three day tournament with many good teams in the field. The line-up that would win this tournament was Levi Grogan, Luke Grogan, Scott Campbell, Grant Powell, and Ryan Fitzgerald. This was the same team as the Callaway Gardens tournament just a week prior.

Coach Fennie has put a lot of faith in his players to play well and they were able to bring home some silverware in Georgia. The team finished the first day of the tournament in 4th behind Huntington College, Methodist University, and Washington and Lee University.

The team was able to comeback on the second and third day to finish first out of twenty-seven teams moving them to seventh in the national rankings. Grant Powell, who tied for second, Scott Campbell, who tied for twelfth, and Levi Grogan, who tied for fifteenth performed notably. The team as a group put in a wonderful performance weeks before the conference tournament. With the National Championship selection coming in the horizon, the boys must keep going with strong performances.