College Movie Nights Begin At LeBauer Park

Picture: LeBauer Park after dark (Picture by Lynn Donovan)
By Cristina Samano-Romo

On Tuesday, August 22, the first College Movie Night of the school year was hosted in  LeBauer Park, where the new “Beauty and the Beast” remake featuring Emma Watson played just a few minutes away from campus. The event kicked off at 6 p.m. with a DJ and vendors set up around the lawn for people to shop and dine before the movie began to play at 8:15 p.m.

For those there early the DJ announced winners for several prizes, including gift cards provided by some of the vendors present. There were over 16 different businesses for people to purchase from. Among these businesses were The Green Bean, where one could buy a tasty latte to sip on while the movie played, and Boho Blu, where one could find a new staple piece for their closet. The atmosphere was lively as the sun slowly sank away and people found a spot on the lawn to set their chairs and lay their blankets down and wait for the movie to start.

Although the amount of people there was not the greatest it has ever been, there were several groups of students from campus, and several others from schools like Bennet College, A&T University and UNCG. Others that attended included families with kids of all ages, some who even brought their dogs to tag along, making it a fun and family friendly environment. The star lit sky and cool breeze set the perfect mood for people to sit back and relax for the show. The crowd, a mix of children’s giggles, wagging tails and chatty college students, all seemed to enjoy the classic Princess tale under the night sky.

If you missed out on the event there will be future dates for movie nights being hosted by UNCG at LeBauer Park. On September 15, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” will be on for anyone that was not able to attend College Movie Night or would like to experience something similar again.