Football Coach Talks 2017 Season

By Philip Deutsch
Photo: Coach Crum (Photo courtesy of Coach Crum’s Twitter account)

“I can tell you this year we are a different team,” said Greensboro College Pride Head Football Coach Greg Crum just over a week before the season opener. Coming off the 1-9 season last fall that began his tenure at Greensboro College, Crum said the “energy” has changed drastically and believes that the program is a definitely on an upswing.
Crum addressed the details of the offensive side of the football by foreseeing that the positions of wide receiver and tailback will produce for this football team this year. The Pride’s sole win last year came against Gallaudet University in a 21-6 affair sealed off by last year’s red-shirt senior Herbert Bridges’ 57-yard fumble return for a touchdown. Crum noted that the team would turn to senior linebacker and leader Keon Reynolds from Miami, Fla. Reynolds made a team-high 84 tackles last season, starting all 10 games.
In the interview, just eight days before the season opener, Crum said he goes into every game thinking he can get a win with a pro-style, pro-spread offense under offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Clayton Hall. After a handful of lopsided losses last year, in order to stay in games, Crum preached that “[a team] has to win the clock” or in other words, dominate the time of possession.
“It’s not always about wins and losses,” he said. “When [one] is trying to change the culture and create an atmosphere to change a program, there’s a lot more positives last year that allowed us to be who we are moving into this year.”
Crum, who played defensive lineman in college, mentioned that there is only 450 head coaches in Division III Athletics, so he commented that he was “very humbled” to be a part of that group. Josh Cross, a senior on team, cracked a smile, acknowledging that Coach Crum and his staff’s principles are more centered on family and togetherness than the former coaching staffs in his first two years.
“[Coach Crum] has an open door policy,” Cross said about the head coach who signed on in April of 2016. “Many of the players can come in at any point and talk to him about football or life or things going on in school.”
When asked about a primetime game that sticks out on the schedule, Crum defiantly said that the team is focused on the first game of the season. Previewing the rest of the schedule, the home opener will be against Brevard College at Jamieson Stadium on September 16 at 1 p.m. and the USA South Conference Opener will be on September 30 against Maryville College in Maryville, Tenn.