Review of “Persona 5” and upcoming projects

By Kendall McLeod
Picture: the main character and his friends, known in game as “The Phantom Thieves of Hearts” (Picture from IGN)

Last year, we finally received the Persona game we had all been waiting for and we now have confirmation of a corresponding animation and dancing/rhythm game.

For those who do not know the game, Persona is a game franchise that revolves around the same idea, but continuously changes the characters, storyline, environment, etc. Persona’s revolves around beings that players may summon in battle; beings that represent one’s true self. Using these beings, you additionally must also focus on your life as a student.  Players must make choices on how to spend their time; do you choose your friends and acquaintances, to work on their own potential, building your collective power or do you focus on yourself and build up your own strength. (And maybe get some cool memorabilia for your room!). The choice is yours, but there are sequences that cannot be skipped!

You play as a character that whose name is to be decided by the player. You have just moved to Tokyo after being falsely accused of assaulting a political figure. With rumors abounding and judgment already being passed by the other high school students, it seems that you have a tough year ahead of you. But this city is bordering on crisis. People are losing their minds, the trains are crashing and many are playing naughty with the populace. With the help of fellow outcasts and an enigmatic man named Igor lurking in your dreams, players must take the role of Joker, leader of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts. Together, the player must reignite the hope of the people of Tokyo and reveal the crimes of the corrupt.

This game is wild! Whether or not you like RPGs, this game will grab onto you and refuse to let go. The characters are surprisingly realistic, even if the situations they find themselves in are not. Each character has their own story to tell and if you listen and spend time with them, you can learn their fears, dreams and motivations. Now, if you are impatient and don’t have the time to listen to explanations, this game might give you trouble. While not overly complicated in concept, players will flounder if they don’t pay attention. Also, the aesthetics and designs of the characters and the personas are creative and gorgeous.

Persona 5 is due to receive an animation at an unspecified date and dancing all night rhythm game in about a year. With the story of the game played out anime, those who desire to see, but not play will be able to understand the theme without the need of the game. Dancing all night is rhythm game were you must guide the characters through the music. A funny and playful concept for this serious and occasionally dark game, this side game is the one of many entertaining notions for the franchise.