NC House Majority Whip Jon Hardister

By Tyler Fuller
Jon Hardister. Photo courtesy of JonHardister.com.

Jon Hardister is a member of the North Carolina House of Representatives. His district includes coverage of a large portion of Guilford County and parts of Greensboro. He was born and raised in Greensboro and was a 2006 graduate of Greensboro College with a bachelor’s degree in political science. We at The Collegian were fortunate enough to speak with Hardister on his experience at GC and his post-graduation career in politics.

Hardister chose GC over the plethora of colleges in the area because of “the friendly staff, historical campus and small class sizes,” also mentioning that the campus “felt like home from the start.” He describes his most cherished moments from college as being the debates in his political science classes, as they were “thoughtful and productive” and inevitably proved invaluable in his career as a state politician.

Hardister recalls initially becoming interested in pursuing politics during his senior year of high school after he turned 18 just in time to vote in the 2000 election. The voting process led to him wanting to become a more informed voter, and thus spurred a deeper interest in politics and government.

As a member of the North Carolina House of Representatives, Hardister places community involvement at the forefront of his focus, indicating that staying active in the community will ultimately lead to a more communicative and productive relationship between the legislator and the constituents. He currently holds the position of N.C. House Majority Whip, one of the top legislative positions in the state.

Hardister encourages anyone interested in pursuing a career in politics to engage themselves in the political process as early and as often as possible. He recommends seeking out internships with political offices just as he did, citing his internship at the office of then-Congressman Howard Coble as a “great experience” that “helped to prepare me for a career in politics.”

To the student body as a whole, Mr. Hardister encourages all “students to stay focused on their studies, have fun and look toward the future with a positive attitude. You can achieve your goals if you work hard and believe in yourself.”