Greensboro College Defeats Guilford College in Men’s Soccer

Gerardo Peraza, junior mid fielder, right.
Courtesy greensborocollegesports.com
By Scotty McGuire

It is always great news hearing that a Greensboro College team defeats Guilford College. Sunday our very own men’s soccer team crushed Guilford by a score of 5 to 0, completing
the shutout. Scoreless in the first-half, The Pride came out with great intensity, scoring five in the last 45 minutes of the match. Three minutes into the second half, The Pride’s Carlos Barragan scored the first goal of the game. “I think the game shifted towards our favor in the second half when we began to play our game and possess the ball,” Barragan said. “A lot of our main players also stepped up and scored some quality goals.” One of the all-stars for the game was mid-fielder Gerardo Peraza, who ended up with a hat trick during the match, including an assist after a successful corner kick that went in off the head of sophomore defender Cole Watkins, putting The Pride up two.

Peraza then scored his last two goals in the final minutes of the match to secure The Pride their sweeping victory. “I believe that we started off shaky at first, but as the game progressed we got more comfortable,” Peraza said. “I see a lot of potential moving forward in the season.” Throughout the match, Guilford had a total of 21 fouls, two saves and seven corners. The men were able to keep our rivals at only six shots on goal.