Volleyball Off to Strong Start

Emily Horn prepares to serve in the September 9 contest against ECSU.
Photo by: Alta Sky – Greensboro College Athletics
By Tyler Fuller

The Greensboro College women’s volleyball team is starting the 2017 season strong. Through five contests in two tournaments, The Pride is 4-1 as they prepared for the Maryville Scots Invitational on the weekend of September 15. The Greensboro College Labor Day Invitational, which took place on Sept. 2, was a triumphant start to the season, with the ladies pulling out a win against Ferrum College and a win in an exhibition match against the Knights of Surry Community College. In the 3-0 sweep of Ferrum, Danyale Berry led The Pride with 14 kills, while Breanna Wilton and Katie Clark each
tallied two aces. Surry CC kept The Pride on their toes, sending the match into five sets and featuring a 42-40 score in set two. Standouts for The Pride against Surry include Emily Horn with 22 kills, Evan Sherer with 23 digs, and Katie Clark and Danyale Berry sharing a tally of three aces. The weekend of September 9 proved to be quite busy for
The Pride volleyball team, as they battled through a tough four-game schedule over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday, The Pride took on Elizabeth City State University and Huntingdon College, emerging victorious via three-game sweeps in both contests. The Pride breezed past ECSU, taking each set by a margin of 10 points or more. Danyale Berry and Evan Sherer contributed with 12 and 9 kills, respectively, while Tori Belcher, The Pride’s libero, tallied 11 digs. The Hawks of Huntingdon College emerged as a more challenging foe, taking each set down to the wire. Nevertheless, The Pride did not flinch and emerged victorious in all three sets, completing the sweep and the perfect 6-0 day. Against Huntingdon, The Pride’s Emily Horn led the team with 14 kills, while Breanna Wilton compiled 11 digs and two aces.

Sunday, the final day of the Greensboro College Volleyball Invitational, The Pride faced their first doses of adversity in the 2017 season. Opening the day against Lynchburg College, The Pride fell in three consecutive sets. However, spurred by Coach Bullock’s headstrong and determined philosophy, The Pride rebounded and pulled out a 3-0 sweep of Emory and Henry. Against that team, Emily Horn recorded five aces while Danyale Berry continued a stellar weekend with 11 kills. Following the 3-1 weekend, Coach Kathy Bullock remarked on the strength of her team and their ability to face adversity saying that she was “proud of them” and how they “definitely learned to overcome adversity.”