Winter Sports Recap

While most of our Pride community was snuggled up by the fire over the break, our men’s and women’s basketball teams competed in multiple tough games. The women’s team went 4-4 over the break while the men’s team struggled, only going 2-7. Both teams
will look to rebound as a new year and new semester begins.

The women’s team (10-4, 6-1 USA South) started 0-2 over the break, dropping the first game to a tough Emory and Henry squad 48-83 and the second game to Piedmont by a score of 69-90. They rebounded after two tough losses to finish 4-2 over the break, beating Huntingdon (62-57), N.C. Wesleyan (94-89 OT), Salem (70-67) and Mary Baldwin (100-55), while dropping games against Ferrum (45-57) and Pfeiffer (51-63).

At about the halfway point of the season, sophomore guard Katie Lewis is leading the team in scoring with 16.4 points per game. The Lady Pride hopes that Lewis’ consistent scoring can propel them to a deep playoff run heading into the back half of their
strong season.

The men’s basketball team (4-9, 1-5 USA South) has had a rough season. Their stretch of games over the break was more of the same. They went a dismal 2-7 over the break, continuing to struggle on the defensive end despite boasting the 37th best offense in the country. They currently rank 409th out of 416 teams in scoring defense, allowing about 91 points per game. Despite struggling over the break, important wins came against a 3-12 St. Mary’s team (92-86) and a 3-12 William Peace squad (96-90). The men’s team is led in scoring by sophomore guard Darrus Maddox (20.3 ppg) and senior guard Joseph Gatling (15.8 ppg). After a rough first half, the men’s team looks to rebound over the second half of the long season and make some noise in the playoffs.

By Griffen Riley
Description: The pride huddle up pre-game against NC Wesleyan
Image courtesy of greensborocollegesports.com