New Faces for Baseball Coaching Staff

The Greensboro College baseball team is looking to kick off the 2018 season on a high note with the help of some new additions to the coaching staff.

Avery Booker, who joined the team in the fall, has taken over as hitting coach for the team after the former coach, Chris Fenisey, left to take a position at High Point University. Avery was the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator at Brevard College prior to his move to Greensboro. He has also worked as a bullpen catcher for the Washington Nationals AAA affiliate, the Syracuse Sky Chiefs.

Avery will be joined this semester by his brother, Zach Booker, a former professional catcher in the Orioles organization. Zach will be taking on the general assistant coach position. Before his time at Greensboro College, Zach played at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington before transferring to Elon University. He was drafted in 2007 by the Nationals. After being traded to the Orioles organization, he went on to play A, AA, and AAA ball.

Zach says that he and his brother are happy to be taking on their new positions.

“We’re excited to be here and excited to bring in championship baseball to Greensboro College. We’re ready to help develop the program and develop great men as well as great players.”

Baseball’s head coach Frank Maldonado says the decision to hire the Booker brothers has already had a positive impact on the team. “I’m excited to have Zach and Avery on board. They’ve already made an immediate impact with the players and the program. They are not only talented coaches but great men.”

Baseball’s 2018 season kicked off on Feb. 9 with an away game at Guilford College. Last year, Greensboro College claimed two hard-fought games out of three against Guilford College.

For more information on the Greensboro College baseball schedule, roster, news and more, visit greensborocollegesports.com.

By Tyler Fuller
Photo courtesy of Greensboro College Athletics