Movie review: Thru The Looking “Glass”

Glass.png

“Glass” is directed by M. Night Shyamalan and stars Samuel
L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Sarah Paulson and James McAvoy. The movie is the 19-years-in-the-making sequel to the prequels “Unbreakable” and “Split,” which is a surprise sequel that blew a lot of people’s minds. In this film, David Dunn uses his supernatural abilities to track Kevin Wendell Crumb. Eventually they end up in a psych ward with Mr. Glass himself being interrogated by a specialist who believes that they are under a delusion that they are all superheroes and she is trying to convince them that it is all in their mind. To say that there was immense anticipation for this movie would be a massive understatement.  “Glass” has a lot to love. The first 20 minutes are eye-catching. It is so good, in fact, that it may make some fans worry. How can the movie possibly sustain such greatness for the entire runtime? The introduction to Dunn is top class. Peering into his life in the opening scenes sets the tone early for the audience. McAvoy is absolutely amazing throughout the entire movie once again.  He is worth the price of a ticket alone to see him reprise several roles that live inside of his mind.  By far, McAvoy is the best part of this film. Also, once Jackson becomes an active agent of the story his character is remarkable, reminding me of his performance in “Unbreakable.” Regrettably, Bruce Willis’s character seems to be on the sideline for most of the film.  However, the ending is a true letdown. The last 20 minutes make the rest of the movie questionable.  It is the kind of ending that does not feel earned. It is of course possible, though, that many viewers who enjoy the rest of the film will appreciate the different direction. There are a lot of unanswered questions and the amount of tools that the patients have in the institution seems unrealistic.  McAvoy’s character uses a light that flashes on and off and forces him to change identifies to a safer one. This unique method used by the director gives the viewers quite a few great moments as he shifts through these personalities.  “Glass” was predicted to have little to no action scenes.  Audiences assumed that there would be maybe one fight scene, but there is more than expected.  The approach feels very anticlimactic for the buildup of the two previous films. By far one of the biggest disappointments with the movie is Willis’s character, David Dunn, with a distinct lack
of character development. He is so sidelined, so in the background, that his lines are even minimal. Overall, though the movie featured some incredible acting and an interesting opening, it was ultimately a letdown. The film did not take away, though, from masterpieces “Unbreakable” or “Split.”