Second lieutenant alumna tackles medical school

Greensboro College 2016 graduate Madison Peregoy has endured many challenges and exciting events since she walked the stage. Peregoy is entering the military health field.

Peregoy was a part of many organizations on campus including SGA, residence life and the Greensboro College swim team. Each of these activities prepared her for interviews for post-graduation opportunities, especially her medical school interviews.

Peregoy began post-graduation life by studying for the MCAT exam and then went on to receive her North Carolina EMT basic certification that year. Throughout 2018, she worked as an EMT for Forsyth County EMS in nearby Winston-Salem, all while she was applying to medical school.

She pursued her dream of being a part of the medical field within the military as she was accepted into the Uniformed Services University of Health Services, which is a military medical school outside of Washington, D.C. From there, she was commissioned as an officer in the Army as a second lieutenant. Currently, Peregoy is in her second year of medical school and the Army.

“Take advantage of the fact that GC is so small, making it easy to do extra things,” Peregoy advised current Greensboro College students. “The small campus also makes it easy to know your faculty and has excellent mentorship. Dr. Sharpe made the biggest difference in my thesis I wrote there, but also after I left. I could count on her guidance and excellent recommendation letter for grad school as well. Take advantage of a faculty who chose to be at a school where they know all of their students’ names – it’s something that I personally took for granted.”

Peregoy plans to continue her adventure through medical school and the army, and is excited for what the future holds for her.

Madison Peregoy in officer training

By Grayce Goins