Greensboro’s Three-Time All-American

by Taylor Cotie

For the third time in his college wrestling career, junior Josh Wilson has been named an NCAA Division III All-American. The 141-pounder has broken records and has made a mark in the program’s history through his exceptional performance.

He has had an outstanding season with the Greensboro College Wrestling team, not only earning the title of Three-Time All-American but making history as the first Greensboro College wrestler to win an ODAC title. Wilson was named the 2023 Southeast Regional Champion and the Most Outstanding Wrestler. He won the Division 1 Appalachian Mountaineer Open title and placed first in the Jim Cryster Invitational. In prior years, Wilson placed first in the 2022 Petrofes Invitational and was named the Most Outstanding Wrestler. He was also a Southeast Regional finalist, placing second, and he placed first in the Southeast conference.

“Being named All-American for the third time felt amazing. It felt great to represent my school and put them on the map nationally.”

Before wrestling for Greensboro College, Wilson also wrestled for Southeast Guilford High School, a school that has had such a successful program.

“Having wrestled for Southeast Guilford during my high school years taught me how to handle adversity,” he said. “We faced good competition often because of how far we got in postseason. During my four years at Southeast, my team finished first, second, second and third at the state championships. It also taught me how to perform at a high level consistently.”

“My most memorable competition happening this season was when I pinned the No. 3-ranked guy in the country during the regional finals,” Wilson said about his most memorable competition has been during his time at Greensboro. “This was the most memorable, and one of my favorites, because it gave me momentum going into the NCAA tournament.”

Wilson has set additional goals that he hopes to accomplish before graduating from Greensboro College.

“My ultimate goal is to win an NCAA Championship for Greensboro College, but my team goal is to win a team conference championship. I believe Coach Harty, Coach Woodburn and Coach Mitch can make that possible this upcoming season.”

Being named a Three-Time All-American was such a huge accomplishment for Josh Wilson. However, he could not have done it without his supportive coaches by his side.

Head Wrestling Coach Justin Harty was nothing but thrilled for Wilson and his accomplishments.

“Josh Wilson has had the best individual wrestling season ever for a Greensboro College wrestler,” Harty said. “A final season recap shows Josh has had an amazing year, as he was the first ever Greensboro College Southeast NCAA DIII Regional Champion and most outstanding wrestler of that tournament. Josh entered the NCAA National Championship as the No. 3 national seed in the tournament and finished eighth, becoming a Three-Time All- American.

“Josh is rewriting the Greensboro College wrestling record book. He finished 42-6 on the year and had the best individual wrestling season ever for a GC wrestler. Josh has been nothing but a leader on the team all year and an anchor dueling every dual we were in. Now Three-Time All-American, he has competed in eight tournaments during the year and has been the champion in his last five tournament outings in a row before NCAA Nationals.

“In addition to Josh Wilson’s on the mat performance, it is important to also point out that Josh is a straight A student athlete at Greensboro College and was recently on the Dean’s list.”

“I am so proud of Josh Wilson this season,” Harty continued. “Josh is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen and not only am I proud of his on the mat success and performance, but super proud of his academic success at GC. We did not end the year exactly as we had expected, but we are thankful for the year we did have. Josh has bigger goals set for himself and he wants to be an NCAA National Champion and this year he has proven to himself he can do just that. Our coaching staff is dedicated to Josh and our entire team to accomplish big things in the future. We will get back to work for our shot at NCAA Nationals 2024.”