Super Bowl 50

superbowl

(Google Images)

The stampeding Denver Broncos and the prowling Carolina Panthers recently gathered in San Francisco to play one last game this season- the game for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Have you ever heard the phrase “Defense wins championships; offense just wins games?” That statement has been proven by Super Bowl 50 as the Broncos (AFC) and Panthers (NFC) were the two leading defenses in the NFL this season. During the game, the Denver defense ruled the field with seven sacks, two forced fumbles, and an interception. Carolina’s defense also showed its worth. Carolina recorded an interception and even held Denver to the fewest total offensive yards for a Super Bowl winning team.

Peyton Manning and his offense struck early in the very first possession of the game and jumped out Carolina 3-0. Then, on the Panthers’ second drive just inside the 10 yard line, Newton fumbled into the end zone where the ball was recovered by Denver for a touchdown, which put the score at 10-0. The Panthers were staring into the makings of a blowout.

Finally, in the second quarter, Carolina answered with a touchdown of its own as Jonathan Stewart jumped the pile at the goal line. This action made the score 10-7, with Denver still in the lead. The Broncos then scored once more before halftime, leaving the score 13-7.

In the third quarter the Panthers missed a field goal while Graham Gano gifted Denver another field goal raising the score to 16-7.

The rest of the game would have been strictly a defensive war, but Carolina added another field goal to the board, shrinking Denver’s lead and making the score 16-10. After a couple of opportunities for Carolina to tie the game, Denver made a tie impossible with a touchdown followed by a 2 point conversion, making the final score 24-10.

Fun Facts about the Super Bowl:

• Generally, the year of ‘Big Game’ is styled with Roman numerals. Super Bowl 50 is an exception because it takes place in the year of the 50th anniversary of the first Super Bowl.
  • The Super Bowl is the second largest day for food consumption in America behind Thanksgiving Day.
  • 8 million pounds of guacamole are consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
  • The Super Bowl is the most frequently watched broadcast of the year.
  • The NFC leads the AFC 26 – 23 in Super Bowl wins.
  • Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has won the Super Bowl twice, both times in his all white uniform.
  • The Carolina Panthers have played in two Super Bowls but have never won one.
  • SB50 was the first time two No. 1 overall draft picks faced off in the Super Bowl as Peyton Manning was the No. 1 pick in 1998 and Cam Newton was the No. 1 pick in 2011.
  • Pittsburgh holds the record for the most Franchise Super Bowl wins with six wins.
  • The Green Bay Packers won the first ever Super Bowl.
  • The only four teams to have never played in the Super Bowl are the Houston Texans, the Cleveland Browns, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Detroit Lions.
This article was written by Rhett Martin.