Sisters- Movie Review

sisters movie review poster

Showing up to the movies with no idea what to watch is not a good idea. I had no idea what to watch because there were so many good movie choices, so it was difficult to focus my attention on only one. I politely asked one of the employees in the box office if she had seen any of the movies, and, if so, which one she preferred. Her answer (fired away with a reaction time of 0.1 seconds) was “Sisters”. The employee said, “This is the funniest thing I’ve watched in a long time!” So I asked for one ticket, paid, walked inside, bought my buttery popcorn with a large Coke, and walked to my theater.

In “Sisters,” when their parents place their home on the market, Maura (Amy Poehler) and Kate (Tina Fey) fly back to their old home in Orlando, Florida to empty out their room. Maura takes the news well, as she understands that her parents want a smaller home with a retirement atmosphere. On the other hand, the hotheaded Kate tries to do anything and everything to keep the house, but her parents say that the room that they shared was filled with so much “junk”. 

One might say that wine turns “junk” into memories. Well, instead of cleaning that night in Florida they relive some of those memories in their house. Maura and Kate do everything from dressing up to reading each other’s diaries. This makes them feel young again! They feel so “young,” in fact, they come up with this crazy idea while being a little intoxicated- that they want to throw one last party in that house. One party to recapture moments with old classmates from high school and to make new memories that will be unforgettable.

It’s funny how if you ask for something you will get it. An unforgettable night is certainly what these two girls got. The party was full of old, washed-up personalities and lifestyles. The night turns quickly, maybe a little too quickly, as it begins to spiral out of control. Maura and Kate soon realize that there may not be a house left to sell.

I do not want to give any more details because this is a must-watch film and I would hate to ruin any movie. Sisters was definitely one of the funniest movies I have watched in a theater in a while. Besides the comedy, a big message I took from this was the importance of family. Family is not an option, it’s a priority; and family will always have each other’s back no matter how big the ‘hole’ is. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler did an amazing job in this film, and if anyone asks me what movie they should go watch, I’m gonna try to say “Sisters” just as fast as the employee did in the box office!