The Boy Who Lives, Lives On.

photo-courtesy-of-lauren-smith

(Photo provided by Lauren Smith)

Yes, this my friends, is a review of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.” It is a play written by Jack Thorne but it is based off of a story written by Jack Thorne, John Tiffany, and the queen of Harry Potter herself, J.K. Rowling!!! We all remember special days and events in history that happen. Like, I remember where I was when 9/11 happened. I remember where I was when my life changed. I also remember when I got my first Harry Potter book. I was in Elementary school and I was in 5th grade. My mom bought it for me because I had wanted it so badly. When I got it I read it in a day. Then I got another and another. Years later my childhood came to an end when the last Harry Potter book came out and the last two movies of the series came out. I wasn’t sure how to handle losing something that had been a part of my life for so long. I know what you’re thinking, wow she’s silly for feeling like this about a book. For me, and the millions of other potter heads out there, we feel this way.

At first I was apprehensive about getting this book because well…. I heard it wasn’t written by Rowling herself. Then when I realized that she was okay with this then I decided to buy it. I went out the day after it came out in stores and bought my copy of the book. I was so excited to start it but… I was reading another book at the time so I had to wait. Waiting is the hardest thing to do when you have a book you desperately want to read. When I finished my last book (it’s one of my “rules” to never start another book before the one I’m reading is finished) I finally picked up Harry Potter and the Cursed child. All I need to say is that it took me almost a month to read said previous book. It took me all of 2 days to finish this one. I have never sat down and read like that since, I believe it was, Twilight. It was interesting and I wanted to find out what happened next.

Disclaimer. This book is NOT written by Jo Rowling therefore it will not be in her style of writing. I loved the book, however, I felt at times it could be cheesy. I felt like some of the lines that were given to our previous characters (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, and good old Voldy…. etc.) were forced. With original Harry Potter you could tell that the lines written actually fit with the characters. I was a bit disappointed with that. I do think the lines given to the “new generation”, which is the reason this book is in existence, are more fitting for them. I guess that’s just me being picky about who messes with Harry Potter! It was quite gripping. I didn’t think I would cry but I did. I’ll give you a hint but I won’t give away anything else, they resurrected a few of our favorite characters and one of them, (whom I will Always hold near and dear to my heart), made me cry. Can you guess who it is? It made me cry plus the story ended well so I’m pleased. I would read it again. Okay so I know you’re probably wondering by now what it’s all about. Well here we go.

It is set at Hogwarts over a series of years. We have the next generation at Hogwarts. People like; Albus, Scorpius, James, Rose and Lily. We also have a new character named Delphi. When reading you don’t get the sense something is up with her until later. Albus over hears his father talking to Amos Diggory, Cedric Diggory’s father (in case anyone needed a refresher). Amos knows the ministry has an old time turner and that it was turned in to the minister of magic later that day. Albus gets the brilliant idea to go and rescue Cedric and bring him back. One problem, they need to get the time turner out of the Minister of magic’s office. He and Scorpius do so they set off with Delphi. They get to the first task of the tri-wizard tournament and disarm Cedric then BAM! It takes them back! Turns out they can only stay in the past for about 5 minutes at a time. There they have come back to an alternate world where things have changed. Not so much as when Scorpius goes back. In the Second task they humiliate Cedric, this has horrible consequences on the future. This time only Scorpius is able to go back. He enters a world where darkness reigns. Turns out that humiliating Cedric made him veeeery angry! Things are absolutely horrible. Scorpius enlists help from an old friend to find his way back. He does. It When he goes back to the future he has realized he’s messed it up big time. This time he has Albus with him. Albus lets Delphi know things are alright but they couldn’t save Cedric. Delphi comes to Hogwarts as the parents of Albus and Scorpius arrive and she whisks them away to the past. She keeps them bound and has them help her see Voldemort…. why? I’ll have to let you figure that out. She leaves them there in the past with the broken time turner. She took them back to Godric’s Hollow on the night Harry was cursed. Why? You’ll have to find out. Check this book out ASAP! It can be found in the GC Bookstore for 20%!! It’s worth the read!! Until next time! Keep reading!

This article was written by Lauren Smith.