Greensboro College Gears Up For Midseason Matchups After a Rocky Home Opener Against Brevard

Photo courtesy of Greensboro College Department of Athletics
By Philip Deutsch

The Pride lost 63-7 against the Brevard College Tornadoes on September 16 with the bright spot being Markez Brown finding the end zone on the final drive to avoid the shutout.

This 56-point loss was a very rough spot in their season, but the Greensboro College Pride will go back to work while their season is on the line with an exciting beginning to the USA South Conference Season. The Conference USA South season will begin on the road for the Pride in Maryville, Tennessee. The Pride lost last to Maryville College 70-14 on Senior Day last year to end the season and seek redemption against the Fighting Scots who had only 2 losses last year, including one against Huntingdon on their own Senior Day.

The 10-yard run by Brown against Brevard was his second career touchdown. The Pride enjoyed a bye week where they didn’t play on September 23 and will enter conference play with a 1-2 record. So, they will have two weeks to prepare for Maryville who will enter the game 2-2 on the season and 0-1 in conference play after a 35-25 lost to Wesleyan.

Furthermore, the Homecoming Game at Jamieson Stadium against Methodist University. Last year, The Pride played visitor to Maryville and lost 38-6. In order to start conference play on the right foot, the Pride will need to bolster the same type of defense that kept them in the game against Gallaudet University and allowed them to leave Washington, D.C., with a win. The Pride’s last Homecoming Win was in 2015 against Averett University in a wild comeback 48-46 win in which The Pride outscored Averett by 13 in the 4th quarter. A “packed-house” crowd would certainly give The Pride the edge in a big USA South game on a special day.