COVID-19 and the classroom

It is a bleak reality that COVID-19 has taken a toll on society as we know it. With changes in our everyday lives such as masks, how we shop for groceries and even how we go to work. But with all of these changes, how are children managing to continue their education and social development through a pandemic?
Steven Davis, a 22-year-old k-12 education major and Greensboro College student, has been teaching the Northwest Guilford High School jazz, concert and marching band and has also been observing how COVID-19 has affected the school system.

“The aspect being most affected is definitely teacher and student morale,” Davis said. “Teachers are asked to teach in person and online simultaneously. The teachers are juggling lesson plans and instructional strategies for three groups of students, and the students are exhausted from adapting to constantly changing instructional setup. As they begin to establish their pace for the week, their instructional arrangement inverts due to cohort scheduling.”
Students and teachers alike are being put into a compromising situation while trying to achieve the goal of student success. Due to COVID-19, both teachers and students are feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, leading to a decrease in success rates in the virtual and in-person classroom.

Although schools are tak- ing precautions such as masks, one-way stairwells and cohort groups for in-person students, it has become increasingly apparent that trying to be completely COVID-safe is almost impossible. With a mass of stu- dents traveling the same halls, it is not possible to ensure that there is adequate social distancing between students.

Trying to be safe is becoming more and more difficult as things in our community and in our classrooms continue to change. The battle to find balance between prioritizing safety and education is a thin line that the school system walks and continues to try to conquer.

By Ashley Hawkes